Steph's Pick | Loving the Little Years

Aug 26, 2011


Very rarely do I post a book review on this blog. It's not that I don't read (I actually read a lot) but more that I don't know of too many books that I feel are worthy of one entire post.


Well - things are a-changing today ladies (and gents for those of you men who read our blog).

A couple months back a college friend of mine (hey sweet Lynette) suggested that I read Loving the Little Years. I'll be honest - initially I just assumed this was another parenting book. Don't get me wrong - I love me a good parenting book (heck, I even work for a parenting ministry so of course I love parenting resources). But there are times when I just feel overwhelmed with all of the books I should be reading... and all of the things I should be doing with the girls. When I start feeling like that I often just take a little break from reading non-fiction and switch over to my much loved fiction books.

Well this time around I'm so glad I took Lynette's advice. I purchased Loving the Little Years and within a couple days found 6 other young moms who were willing to read through it "with" me. I say "with" because let's be honest - long gone are the days of book clubs for me (tear). Instead we meet up for play dates and between "we don't hit our friends" lessons and sips of our triple shot vanilla lattes we talk briefly about the book.

Within a couple of days I received the book in the mail and was especially pleased to read the back cover:
"I didn't write this book because mothering little ones is easy for me. I wrote it because it isn't. I know that this is a hard job, because I am right here in the middle of it. I know you need encouragement because I do too.

This is not a tender reminiscence from someone who had children so long ago that she only remembers the sweet parts. At the time of writing this, I have three children in diapers, and I can recognize the sound of hundreds of toothpicks being dumped out in the hall.

This is a small collection of thoughts on mothering young children for when you are motivated, for when you are discouraged, for the times when discipline seems fruitless, and for when you are just plain old tired.

The opportunities for growth abound here but you have to be willing. You have to open your heart to the tumble. As you deal with your children, deal with yourself always and first. This is what it looks like, and feels like, to walk as a mother with God."
Phew. It sounded like exactly what I needed.

You see, as I sit down to write this I am anticipating the wake-up call of 2 little girls. There are toys sprawled out across the entire living room floor AND kitchen (no - I didn't clean them up during nap time). And yes, I probably could recite the Going to Bed Book. I know what motherhood in the trenches looks like.

With wisdom and humor, and in 20 very short chapters (think 3-5 pages each) Rachel Jankovic reminds us that sometimes when the attitudes are bad and everyone is crying the first person who needs to repent is Mommy. God is using these mischievous little angels to make us more like Him. Yes I did just use "mischievous" and "angels" in the same sentence. :)

While reading this book I literally laughed and cried. I will be reading it again soon, chapter by chapter, taking notes and absorbing ideas. In fact, I will probably read it every year. It's just that good!

So if you're a mom of little one's I would STRONGLY encourage you order this book today. It really has been food for my soul over the past few months.

***************
Read more from Rachel Jankovic:



3 comments:

Lynette said...

Delighted to hear you enjoyed the read! She has recently posted three articles that are also worth the read!
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/motherhood-is-application

Unknown said...

So if I were to be totally honest, I would tell you that I may have been contemplating plugging the phrase "I hate being a stay at home mom" into google the other day. I remembered you mentioning a book, and I've been meaning to ask you what it was. Pretty sure this was it - thanks for posting about it! I got started today and it's been really great - even when I'm not in quite as bad a place as the other day.

alan and steph said...

@Lynette - Thanks so much for the recommendation!
@Maggie - Girl - I'm right there with you!! Being a stay at home mom is not an easy task (not even close). That's why this book was sooo good for me to read. Let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP