Steph's Pick | Ebelskivers

Jun 3, 2011

Photo Credit: Jordan Reasy

Yes, yes, yes... I fully realize that this is the first Steph's Pick since May 6th!! I know... I'm just as surprised. But what can I say? The reason(s)...more than likely a lack of ideas and this new little baby we are lovin' on now :)

Now to Steph's Pick -

By now most of you probably know that I'm in a Cooking Club. It's pretty much one of my most favorite things of this year.

Well this past week we met for our May meeting with a theme of "Favorite Brunch Recipe." I for one and am a HUGE lover of brunch. So much so that even though the meeting landed just 5 days after Elsie's birth I couldn't help but go! And I'm so happy I did because I there were some delicious recipes shared.

One of the recipes was for Ebelskivers - a Danish Pancake. Aka: the most delicious thing on the planet!

I'd never actually heard of Ebelskivers but when I saw Jordan bringing them in last Wednesday I knew I was in love. And you will love them too...promise.

Here's her recipe:

Ebelskivers
Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, separated
between 1.75 and 1.85 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted (plus extra for cooking)

Directions.
1. Heat the Ebelskiver pan on med heat.
2. In a large bowl whisk the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk and melted butter. In a third bowl beat the egg whites until they hold a 2 inch peak (do not over beat the whites).
3. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients in a slow, steady stream while gently mixing with a rubber spatula (you should still have large patches of dry ingredients by the time you've finished mixing). Then fold in the egg whites very gently.
4. Place a small amount of butter into each of the pans hollows. Using a spoon, fill each hollow almost to the top with batter. If you're adding a filling, add it on top of each hollow filled with batter and add a little more batter to cover it.
5. When the edges are slightly dry and you see bubbles, use two wooden skewers to turn each Ebelskiver over to finish cooking. Remove Ebelskivers from the pan once they are set or a toothpick comes out clean. Roll in cinnamon & sugar. (See WilliamsSonoma.com for other suggestions for filling & serving)

Enjoy!



2 comments:

Jenny said...

I have memories of my grandmother making these....she was Danish. She flipped them using a hat pin. I had forgotten about them...maybe I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the recipe and most of all congrats on sweet liitle Elsie! She is so pretty and having two girls must be so fun!

Stephanie said...

I looked at the link to the cooking club and it looks so fun!!! I've been thinking about something I could do with a group in regards to cooking and this is a great idea! Maybe I will attempt it. Congrats on little Elsie! What a sweetie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP